Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Wheels and Wargames II - A Kind Gesture

Just a brief addendum to a post I made a week or two ago about my longstanding fascination with public transport and my perceived overlap of this fascination with an interest in things military.

On reading my post a friend made an extraordinarily kind gesture and gave me his collection of 1/76 scale buses, a collection he had been accumulating for some years but had never seen the light of day. He thought the buses deserved a measure of love and admiration that he felt unable to provide, and I was happy to be able to assure him with the utmost confidence that they would receive this chez moi. They are now indeed occupying a shelf with pride of place in my lounge, although for the moment they are having to share it with some incongruities. That Pharoah’s head will have to go elsewhere I think, and ditto those protective dragons from Hong Kong, although I fear the consequences of invoking their ire by anything that might be seen as a demotion.

There were no fewer than sixteen vehicles in the collection but I have included only a sample of them in the photographs I have inserted here; those uninterested in such things would hardly want more, while those who do share that passion…well, I wouldn’t want to set too many hearts a flutter.










The buses will make me a collector again in a small way. I plan to expand their number, and, again with a nod to the donor, the plan is to acquire vehicles from fleets that represent places in which I have spent time of some significance, whether in the UK or abroad. I rather like the idea of a memoir written in buses. New acquisitions will almost certainly find their way into a blog post from time to time, quite possibly along with some very self-indulgent description of their significance, so you have been warned.

So, many thanks again to the donor if he is reading; it only goes to show what thoroughly kind and thoughtful people one meets among the wargaming community.

6 comments:

  1. You have a good friend! Very nice gesture. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan...now I just have to resist the temptation to go overboard as is my wont and have buses taking over the house!

      Delete
  2. Splendid collection and most kind friend. I really enjoyed seeing the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you...I expect there will be a lot more to come. I just hope my wargames don't become jealous of this new love!

      Delete
  3. Typical - you wait ages for one, and then 16 come along all at once..
    ( c'mon, someone had to do that gag )
    Splendid collection and a lovely gesture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Dave! Sixteen buses turning up at once in such a variety of liveries would have stopped my heart as a lad.

      I wonder if there is any way I can recreate the smell of those old buses when you boarded on a hot summer day...that combination of gently warming upholstery, diesel fumes and something else unidentifiable but very bussy. A scent as much a part of my youth as the smell of old books. Sigh.

      Delete